Mississippi Temporary Work Permits

Navketan Desai: a Ridgeland Immigration Lawyer & Advocate

No matter the industry, all foreign workers must obtain a permit to lawfully work in the United States. The type of permit required depends upon the occupation in which the worker will be employed. For help obtaining a temporary work permit, consult with a Navketan Desai, Ridgeland immigration attorney at Taggart, Rimes & Graham, PLLC.

Categories of Temporary Workers

Most temporary work permits require that an employer file a nonimmigrant petition on the applicants behalf. The exceptions to this rule involve traders or investors from a country that the United States maintains a treaty of commerce with. Temporary professionals from Mexico or Canada, along with specialized workers from Australia, may also qualify for an employer exemption.

Some of the main classifications for temporary workers include:

  • Registered nurses in an understaffed field
  • Seasonal agricultural workers
  • Foreign press agents
  • Professional athletes
  • Persons of extraordinary talent
  • Internationally-recognized entertainers
  • Religious workers

The spouse and dependent children of a foreign national who is granted a temporary work permit may also qualify for a visa, which should be applied for directly at a U.S. consulate.

Non-Agricultural Workers

One of the broadest classification groups for temporary workers is H-2B. It can be generally applied to any temporary non-agricultural worker whose occupation does not fall into any of the more specific categories. In order to qualify for an H-2B permit, the employer must be able to demonstrate that there is a shortage of qualified domestic workers, that the addition of foreign employees will not negatively affect wages, and that the need for additional employees is of a temporary nature.

To speak with a Ridgeland immigration lawyer about the specific steps that must be taken to secure a temporary work permit, contact Navketan Desai at Taggart, Rimes & Graham, PLLC. As a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the Mississippi Bar Association, we will work with you to see that all state and federal requirements are met. Dial 601-501-7105 to get started. Multilingual support is available.