Family-Based Green Cards

Multi-Lingual Ridgeland Immigration Attorney

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers a pathway by which family members of U.S. citizens can obtain a Green Card. Immediate relatives are given priority consideration and do not have to wait for a spot to open up. There is no limit on the number of visas available to immediate family members. This includes spouses, unmarried minor children, and the parents of U.S. citizens who are over the age of 21. To talk to a Ridgeland immigration attorney about family-based Green Cards, contact Navketan Desai at Taggart, Rimes & Graham, PLLC.

Green Cards for Extended Members of the Family

Though only immediate family members are given priority consideration, additional family members may still be eligible for a family-based visa through the "family preference category." Because there is an annual limit on the number of family preference visas issued, applicants must usually spend time on a waiting list before their application is considered.

Those eligible for a family preference visa include:

  • Unmarried children over the age of 21
  • Married children of any age
  • Siblings of U.S. citizens over the age of 21

What is the Process for Obtaining a Family-Based Green Card?

If the family member is already in the United States, an application for permanent residence can be initiated through the submission of two forms. In some situations, these forms can be filed concurrently. For those living outside the country, the application for a family-based visa must be processed through the U.S. Department of State. Once approved, the recipient becomes a permanent resident of the United States upon reaching a U.S. port of entry.

To the uninitiated, applying for a Green Card through a family member can be a complicated and confusing process. Thankfully, Navketan Desai can help walk you through it! For a Ridgeland immigration lawyer with personal experience in immigrating to the United States, call Attorney Desai from Taggart, Rimes & Graham, PLLC at 601-501-7105.